Learn how to Save Big at Garage Sales and How to Have Your Own!
As far back as I can remember to my childhood I have been going to garage sales. My mom has always been a firm believer in being frugal and getting nice clothes and items at a low price.
Every Friday and Saturday morning we would head out to the sales in our town or nearby towns to see what awesome deals we could find! I would come home with a couple of toys plus some nice clothes and household decorating items my mom wanted to spruce up the house with!
If you are not one to purchase clothes at sales there are hundreds of other items to look for at sales that are way under the regular store prices. I have bought 2 new bikes at garage sales in the past year at the Celebration, FL townwide sales and paid under half the price that I would have in stores! One of the bikes was a "trick" bike for my son and paid only $15 at the sale! I came home and looked it up on the Internet and it is a $300 bike! How cool is that!
This past weekend I went to the sales in Celebration again. This time I found a slightly used computer chair that was marked $25 and I asked if they would take $20. They said yes! I also found a very nice slightly used 5 piece patio set for $35. I asked if they would take $25 and she said the lowest she would go was $30. I now have an almost brand new patio set on my back porch and a slightly used computer chair all for $50!
One great thing about garage sales is that you can always ask if they will take a lower price on their items. Sometimes the answer will be yes and sometimes it will be no. I may still buy that item even if the answer is "no" depending on the need or want for that product.
Do you want to make some extra cash with your own garage sale? My mother has had at least one or two sales of her own each year since I was in grade school! She has such a "green thumb" when it comes to selling her own items!
If you want to be the one to make some cash, take a look at these learned tips from my mom for having the best outcome at your sale...
- Make your items look as new as you can so others will want to buy them.
- Always make sure the clothes are folded and neatly placed on the tables. Your customers will not want to dig through clothes. Price according to how new or old clothes look. If possible, use a straight pin to pin tags on clothes so tags don't fall off and so prices can not be switched.
- If possible, place price tags where they can be seen on each item.
- Wipe off items like lamps, trinkets, clocks, etc.. This will make them look presentable for purchasing and you will get the highest price.
- Place jewelry neatly on your table, in a small container or in a way that your buyers can see it at a glance without digging around.
- Place a big sign in your front yard if able, small signs around your neighborhood or city and check your local paper for a price to place an ad.
I hope these tips have helped in learning how to save and how to make some money of your own!
Happy Money Saving and Money Making!
Through TrueCouponing.com, Kati and Melisha pass along money and time saving tips they both still use today. They also teach free couponing workshops all over the Greater Tampa Bay area and Orlando and surrounding areas. Go HERE to view the schedule of upcoming workshops!