Armwood continued its undefeated season while Durant fell one point short of its first win of the season. Bloomingdale ended 10 points short of Plant, but not before upping the Panthers 14-0 with less than two minutes into the game. In all, there were three shutouts, with Armwood and Strawberry Crest on the winning side and Brandon falling short, to the Strawberry Crest Chargers.
Rounding out the results of Eastern Hillsborough County teams, Newsome defeated Alonso while both Riverview and Spoto came home winless.
Here's how the local teams fared:
Armwood, at home, over Robinson, 27-0
- "Armwood defeated a Class 6A, District 8 opponent, shutting out Robinson 27-0 on Friday night. Now the Hawks must beat a third district foe in 12 days. Next up: Jefferson." — From Tampa Bay Times game coverage.
Plant, at home, over Bloomingdale, 50-40
- "Plant found itself in an unusual situation at home early in Friday night’s 8A-6 showdown with Bloomingdale. Less than two minutes into the game, the Panthers were down 14-0." — From Tampa Bay Times game coverage.
Newsome, on the road, over Alonso, 38-26
- "[Ramsey] Bennett, a senior, followed with two monumental defensive plays as Newsome (3-1, 1-0) pulled out a 38-26 victory over Alonso (2-2, 0-1) on Friday night in a Class 8A, District 6 opener.." — From Tampa Bay Times game coverage.
Strawberry Crest, at home, over Brandon, 46-0
- "Strawberry Crest opened up Class 7A, District 8 play with a decisive victory over Brandon, beating the Eagles 46-0 Friday night." — From Tampa Bay Times game coverage.
Plant City, at home, over Durant, 14-13
- ". . . in the biggest play of the game — one the Raiders eventually won 14-13 — Plant City tackle Montel McBride was part of a goal-line stand against Kadarius Griffin that left Durant winless [for the season]." — From Tampa Bay Times game coverage.
Wharton, at home, over Riverview, 41-14
- "Wharton quarterback Chase Litton could do little wrong in his team's district opener, throwing for 285 yards and two touchdowns as the Wildcats cruised to 41-14 over Riverview." — From TBO.com game coverage.
East Bay, at home, over Spoto, 14-6
- "Neither team looked sharp. The Spartans (0-4, 0-1) were whistled for 18 penalties, turned the ball over three times and surrendered nine sacks. East Bay fumbled seven times, losing five." —From TBO.com game coverage.