Brandon native and champion diver Christopher Colwill, 28, was the only American to leave the AT&T USA Diving Grand Prix international meet with a gold medal, according to the Miami Herald.
Colwill scored a 475.30 to win the men’s 3-meter springboard competition at the Fort Lauderdale Aquatic Center May 13. His parents, Chuck and Debbie of Brandon, watched as their son won his first international individual 3-meter gold medal, noted the Miami Herald.
The hearing-impaired Colwill says his 60-percent hearing loss helps keep him focused when competing.
The Miami Herald reported that, on May 13, Colwill scored a 79.80 on his fourth dive — a front 4 1/2 tuck, the most difficult dive in his final rotation.
After dropping back to fifth place, Colwill pulled out a styling inward 3 1/2 tuck on his final dive to score 91 points to finish in first place.
Colwill's career highlights:
- Six-time national champion (1m – ‘05, ‘06, ‘07; 3-meter in ‘06; synchro 3m – ‘07, ‘08)
- Eight-time junior national champion
- Three-time NCAA champion for the University of Georgia
- 2006 World Cup bronze medalist on 1-meter
- Junior world champion on platform in 1999; won bronze on 1-meter in ‘99, ‘02
- 2005, 2007 World Championships team member
- 2006, 2008 World Cup team member