The 10th Annual FishHawk Area Networking Group (FANG) Back-to-School Festival runs today, Aug. 5, at the Campo Family YMCA gymnasium, featuring more than 100 local business booths, demonstrations, giveaways, doors prizes and samplings from 10 area restaurants.
The grand event opens at 1 p.m. and runs for three hours. The event is held each year to collect back-to-school supplies for children from migrant families.
The Campo Family YMCA is off Bloomingdale Avenue, at 3414 Culbreath Road in Valrico.
"We know that each year, the heat becomes a factor for our vendors and attendees," said FANG coordinator Nan Hager, in a release on the event. "Moving into the air-conditioning at the Y, where the school supplies need to go for the school supply backpack program anyway, is a win-win for us."
Admission is free but there is a request to bring $10 worth of new school supplies, or a $10 cash donation. The supplies will benefit the Y’s migrant children effort. Last year, more than 400 students received supplies as the result of the event.
- An emcee will be provided from the Theatre Arts & Dance Alliance (TADA), with sound provided by Pure Power Productions.
- Set to perform: TADA, Music Showcase and Sidekicks Martial Arts.
- Food samples to taste include those from Formaggio's Italian Restaurant and the Chick-fil-A restaurant in Lake Brandon Village. “This is one annual event that highlights the summer,” Chick-fil-A proprietor Paul Holmberg said in the release. “We have been participants every year and each year, it continues to grow and expand.”
- Representatives from FishHawk Youth Sports Complex and area teams will be in attendance to talk about fall registration requirements.
- Event sponsors are: Tampa Bay Times/Brandon Times, Kids ‘R’ Kids Valrico and Circa FishHawk, CruisePlanners-Sherry Leybovich, Tutoring Club of Valrico and Osprey Observer.
FANG is an organization of more than 100 local business owners who meet on the second and fourth Thursdays of the month at 7:30 p.m. at the Palmetto Club in FishHawk.
The Campo Family YMCA, also known as the Campo Y, is at 3414 Culbreath Road in Valrico. For more information, visit www.fangconnect.com, call Nan Hager at 657-2418 or e-mail email@example.com.