Now you can not only check out books physically from area libraries, but you can also access thousands of titles with the click of a button by downloading them onto your eReader and mobile devices.
You need your library card number and PIN to access the databases of available titles, including adult and childrens books and reference materials as well.
Anyone with a Hillsborough County library card may use it to download the content. Library cards are free for Hillsborough County residents.
The library system began offering fee eBooks a couple years ago when library-goers started reqesting them.
"As prices for eBook readers and devices that play digital music have gone down, the number of people owning them has gone up," said Jackie Zebos, manager at Tampa-Hillsborough County Public Libraries. "Further, we offer this service to our residents as the next step in providing information in evolving formats; libraries have always been early adopters of new technologies."
To access the free downloads, users must download one of the apps before onto their tablet or smart phones. Find your local library for each app and log-in by using your library card number to access titles.
The following are available for download:
- OverDrive - Free Audiobooks & eBooks: With access to thousands of audiobooks and eBooks, OverDrive features bestselling titles available for download. PC, Mac, Kindle and almost all tablets and smartphones are supported. Download the OverDrive app from the iOS App Store or Android Marketplace to browse and download on the go!
- Freading - Free eBooks: Find thousands of eBooks from every genre, and there's never a waiting list. Read on the computer or on a compatible ereader, smartphone or tablet. Download the Freading app from the iOS App Store or Android Marketplace, to browse and download on the go!
- Freegal - Free Music: Download a wide assortment of music, from yesterday's classics through today's hits and keep it forever. Recent additions include Adele, Beyoncé, Foster, Glee, the Pitbull, People and many more!
Got a new eBook reader or mobile device and need help using it? Check out the following FREE courses being held at the Bloomingdale Regional Library:
- eBooks and eReaders An Introduction: Learn which devices can download the library's free eBooks. Thursday, Oct. 26 at 3:30 p.m.
- Computer and eBook Tutor: Tutoring in Microsoft software, email, and the Internet, as well as assistance with eBooks & eReaders. Tuesday, Oct. 30 at 2 p.m. and Wednesday, Oct. 31 at 11 a.m.