Criminals and traffic violators beware.
Sheriff's deputies will conduct enhanced traffic operations around Westfield Brandon mall during the Thanksgiving holiday.
The additional deputies will help to monitor the flow of traffic and deter criminal activity this holiday season, according to a Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office press release.
Electronic sign boards will be deployed daily around the mall to inform and
encourage public safety. The mounted patrol, motorcycle and bike patrol will be used around the mall to ensure shoppers' personal safety and to deter vehicle burglaries.
Deputies also will distribute auto burglary prevention pamphlets in parking lots throughout the holiday season in an effort to educate the public on their personal safety and the safety of their property.
Safety Tips for the Mall
- When shopping, lock your car doors and roll up your windows.
- Limit the amount of cash you carry. If possible, pay for your purchases with a credit or debit card.
- Limit the amount of jewelry you wear.
- Keep your purse close to your body and your wallet in an inside jacket pocket if possible.
- Place all packages in your trunk so they are not visible to individuals
walking close to your vehicle.
- Remember where you parked your vehicle and have your car keys in hand when approaching your vehicle.
- Don't leave cell phones, purses or other items in your parked car where they can be seen.
When Using ATM Machines:
- Use one in a populated area and pay constant attention to your surroundings.
- If possible go during daylight hours.
- If anyone is lurking near the machine, pass it up and find another.
- Remember to retrieve your credit/debit card after the transaction.