A group of five men stated their reasons for taking a break from daytime duties to visit the newly opened gas station and convenience store on Bloomingdale Avenue, just east of U.S. Highway 301.
"Food, number one," said Austin Simmons.
"Low gas prices, $3.29 for regular," said Dave Davis.
"Good coffee," said Henry Hillsman.
"I'm going for low gas prices, too," said Brad Douglas.
Added Jonathan Lee: "I'm a huge fan of the clip on the gas pump."
Overall, it was a sound opening for Wawa, with a steady stream of customers availing themselves of not only gas, but everything else the store has to offer, as noted below.
The grand opening was especially satisfying for members of USO Tampa Bay and the 332nd Transportation Battalion, who participated in the festivities.
- See photos, at Wawa Opens In Eastern Hillsborough County
"We received $2,000 in checks, in support of the 332nd Transportation Battalion's Family Day, August 17," said Carrie Harper, with USO Tampa Bay, whose mission, she said, "is to lift the spirits of American troops and their families."
"It was a very entertaining day," said battalion reservist Jeffrey Strotman, who, with his peers, participated in a hoagie competition against USO Tampa Bay competitors, who outpaced the battalion competitors 24-20, according to Mike Rovinelli, of USO Tampa Bay.
"But how many did we do correctly?" he asked. "That would be zero."
As for reservist Ayama Miller, she said her trip from Orlando to the Bloomingdale Avenue Wawa was well worth it.
"I've never been to a Wawa," she said. "I think it's pretty awesome."
According to Wawa online:
- Built-to-order hoagies come in four sizes: Junior, Shorti, Classic and Two-Footer.
- Touted as well, freshly-brewed coffee, more than 195 million cups sold each year.
- Also noted: the Sizzli hot breakfast sandwich, quality dairy products, Wawa brand juices and teas and ready-to-go salads and fresh fruits.
- "Wawa" is a Native American word for the Canada Goose that was found in the Delaware Valley, that's why we use the goose on Wawa's corporate logo.