Looking for a fun, low-cost activity for the entire family?
The Hillsborough County Parks, Recreation and Conservation Department is inviting residents to explore the county's scenic waterways by canoe or kayak.
The county offers four-hour canoe rentals for $25 Monday through Sunday from 8 a.m. to two hours before park closing.
A park entry fee will also apply at $2 per vehicle carrying up to eight people, and $1 for each additional person.
Only cash, check and traveler’s check payments will be accepted at this time. These parks are open seven days a week from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. during the winter months.
Parks offering rentals include:
- Aldermans Ford Regional Park, 9625 Canoe Launch Loop in Lithia
- Edward Medard Regional Park, 6140 Edward Medard Parkway in Plant City
- E.G. Simmons Park, 2401 19th Ave. N.W. in Ruskin
- Lake Park, 17302 N. Dale Mabry Highway in Lutz
- Lithia Springs Regional Park , 3932 Lithia Springs Rd. in Lithia
- Lettuce Lake Park, 6920 E. Fletcher Ave. in Tampa
- Upper Tampa Bay Park, 8001 Double Branch Rd. in Tampa
Canoes or kayaks can be rented on site at each entry station. Rentals at Upper Tampa Bay Park are conducted within the on-site environmental studies building.
Those wishing to rent a canoe or kayak must be 18 years old and complete a liability release and rental agreement form prior to payment at the entry station.
Hillsborough County started offering canoe/kayak rentals in September 2010 at the request of park visitors.
For additional information, contact Hillsborough County Parks, Recreation and Conservation at 813-757-3801.