Residents opposed to big-box retail development and apartments next to the Bloomingdale Regional Library are asked to voice their concerns at a community meeting May 14 at the The Palms Community Church.
The church is just west of Bloomingdale High School, at 1310 East Bloomingdale Avenue.
The meeting follows a May 7 protest on Bloomingdale Avenue that drew about 100 residents carrying hand-made signs in protest of proposed development on land zoned for a 158,800-square-foot big-box store, along with other commercial space and 260 apartments.
- Neighbors Rally Against Bloomingdale Big-Box Development
As of Tuesday morning, May 14, 1,035 people had posted their support for an online petition at change.org to "stop plans to build a supercenter in Valrico, Florida."
According to an April 23 Patch report, property owner, Redstone Properties LLC, was conducting a traffic study required by the county that would allow the company to begin development of the property, which is already zoned for a 158,800-square-foot big-box store, along with other commercial space and 260 apartments.
According to county planner Matt Lewis, the developer has not confirmed what big-box store it wants to build but has mentioned the possibility of a Super Target or Sam's Club. However, residents say they've seen plans designating it as a Super Walmart.
Opposition includes the contention that the development would bring more traffic to an already congested road in a less-than-satisfactory transit corridor, running from Bloomingdale Avenue to Lithia-Pinecrest Road.
Also, that the project would adversely impact wetlands, hundred-year-old oak trees and nests of gopher turtles.
Safety, too, has been raised as a concern, noting the student-centered development in the area, including the library, Bloomingdale High School, Burns Middle School, Alafia and Cimino elementary schools, the Campo Family YMCA and the Bloomingdale Little League fields.
- 'No Bloomingdale Big Box' Event Set for Rush-Hour Traffic (includes reader comments)
- Opposition Preps for Big-Box Development Protest
- Bloomingdale Residents Continue To Fight Big-Box Development (includes link to a petition that has garnered more than 830 signatures)
- Higginbotham Fields Big-Box Development Question (video and reader comments posted at Brandon Patch)
- Commissioner Answers Big-Box Development Question (video and comments posted at Bloomingdale-Riverview Patch)