1. In the United State, Patriot Day occurs on September 11 of each year, designated in memory of the 2,977 killed in the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. Initially, the day was called the Prayer and Remembrance for the Victims of the Terrorist Attacks on Sept. 11, 2001.
2. Come on out and join members of the Brandon Newcomers Club from 8:30 to 10 a.m. as they wave flags in support of those who were lost during 9/11. The club members will be stationed alongside State Road 60 in front of the Hillsboro Gardens cemetery to remind motorists of the anniversary.
3. This morning at the 9:15 and 11 a.m. services, Bell Shoals Baptist Church, 2102 Bell Shoals Road, Brandon, will honor all those who protect this country. Individuals who were personally affected by 9/11 will speak and members will take plates of homemade cookies to area fire stations and sheriff's offices.
4. The Boy Scouts will host a 9/11 memorial service at 8:30 a.m. Sept. 11 at the Winthrop Pole Barn, 11349 Bloomingdale Ave., Riverview. Scouts from throughout the Timucua District, which covers Hillsborough County, as well as the general public are invited to attend.
The ceremony will feature the presentation of colors, a timeline of events from that day, the recitation of "The Voice of the Flag" and the Pledge of Allegiance at 8:46 a.m., the time the first plane struck the North Tower of the World Trade Center.
The Scouts also have acquired a Flag of Honor, an American flag printed with the names of the nearly 3,000 civilians and first responders who lost their lives on Sept. 11. It will be on display during the ceremony.
5. Women Empowering Women will host a Breast Cancer Awareness Fundraiser Sunday, Sept. 11 at the Boys & Girls Club of Brandon, 213 N. Knights Ave., Brandon.
A social hour starts at 11:30 a.m. and lunch will be served at 12:20 p.m.
Organized by Dalen Kosobucki for the Susan G. Komen 3-Day Walk for the Cure, the luncheon will feature guest speakers Dr. Janelle Park, a board-certified radiation oncologist with the Tampa Bay Cancer Center and medical director of Brandon Cyberknife; traditional and integrative medicine physician, Dr. Carol Roberts; and Leott Ferlita Wydetic of The Compounding Shop of Riverview.
There will be fashions by Coldwater Creek, a live auction, door prizes and giveaways. Tickets are $25.