Access to the arts in or out of school leads to better academic results, better workforce opportunities, and more civic engagement for all students including those at-risk.. A recent NEA study has shown this to be so. The possibility of potential benefits should encourage the schools and other venues to offer these opportunities to all kids! Our Arts Councils, Art Leagues and clubs need to help this to happen.
From Artswatch comes a list of the ten reasons to support the arts, and not just for 2012 -
1. True prosperity - the arts are fundamental to our humanity, they provide inspiration, creativity, goodness, and beauty.
2. The arts provide Improved academic performance. (see NEA study above.)
3. The arts are an industry- the arts generate billions in economic activity yearly.
4. The arts are good for local merchants - the costs of various events rolls over to them through hotel, meal, and related costs.
5. The arts are the cornerstone to tourism - art tourists stay longer and spend more!
6. The arts are an export industry - goods such ar paintings, movies and jewelry are exported yearly.
7. The arts help to build the 21st century workforce - creativity is among the top five skills sought by employers.
8. Healthcare - one half of the nations healthcare institutions provide arts programming. The healing qualities of art are important to our healthcare systems.
9. The arts build stronger communities leading to more social cohesion and civic engagement.
10. The arts provide many Creative Industries (museums, theaters, etc.)
Follow Artswatch on Twitter for more news.
It will be one of the goals of the Greater Brandon Arts Council in the upcoming months to continue to foster the growth of the arts in the area and to incorporate a variety of the arts into our programs and activities. an upcoming event at Center Place and co-sponsored by the Brandon League of Fine Arts, the Indoor Outdoor Artfest, will be held in conjunction with the annual Center Place Chalk Walk on September 1st. Watch for further updates and contact me (email@example.com), the arts council website(firstname.lastname@example.org, or Center Place (email@example.com) for more information. Join the crusade; support the arts, and improve your life!