There are many stages to reading, not just opening a book and reading the words on the page. For infants, beginning signs of reading are simple looking at the illustrations in the story coupled with rhythmic sound of your voice. Your baby's favorite sound is those of loved ones around them. Why not channel that sound into an educational bonding experience that both you and your baby will enjoy for years to come. The rhythm of the words from books along with your presence will create a special bonding time with your baby. Your voice and words are interpreting what they see in the illustrations. Label and point to pictures, sing verses and watch as smiles appear.
Expose your baby to quality literature right from the start. Wonderful children's books often have a baby board book version which is a perfect start for both of you. When choosing books for babies, you want to look for simple, rhythmic text along with bright and vivid illustrations. Here is a very short list of must have books for your baby:
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
- Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr & John Archambault
- Moo, Baa, La La La! by Sandra Boynton
- Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
- I Love You Through and Through by Bernadette Rossetti-Shustak
- Black on White by Tana Hoban
- Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See by Bill Martin Jr.
Jenn Siffermann- Kindermusik with Musical Beginnings