Top 5 Places to Celebrate Cinco de Mayo
Looking for somewhere to celebrate this Mexican holiday? Here's some suggestions.
Spanish for the "5th of May," Cinco de Mayo commemorates the Mexican victory over French forces in the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. It's a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride, and a great time to break out the Mexican-inspired cocktails and fare that make this day so much fun.
Lucky for us, several spots in town are ready to bring you the fiesta. Here are the Top 5 Places to Celebrate Cinco de Mayo in Bloomingdale-Riverview:
1. Get a jump start on the holiday. Plaza Bella at Bloomingdale Avenue and Bell Shoals Road will celebrate the eve of Cinco de Mayo on May 4 from 6 to 9 p.m. with dancing to the festive sound of disc jockey Chris of Big Beats Entertainment, customized fajita meals prepared by Chef Mike of Sumatra Bistro, orange margaritas and Joel's Pizza Palace chicken wings at Orange Home Accessories, south-of-the-border chocolate at The Original Leena's Chocolates and espresso martinis at The Green Boutique.
2. What better way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo than to indulge in authentic Mexican food at Luna's Mexican Restaurant? Luna's will celebrate the occasion with both menu and drink specials from its full bar, including two-for-one margaritas during happy hour.
3. Whether you hit the Beef O' Brady's on Bell Shoals Road or the restaurant on FishHawk Boulevard, you can indulge your taste for south-of-the-border fare with a steak burrito, steak nachos or quesadillas, or Beef's signature salsa and chips.
4. Or head over to AmberJacks Bar and Grill for live music, festive drink specials and some chili nachos or chipolte chicken quesadillas.
5. The Green Iguana Bar & Grill is always a sure bet for a good time. Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with live music of Wes Dearth from 1 to 4:30 p.m. and Matt Weiss from 5 to 9 p.m., drink specials and chips and salsa or a Nacho Mountain topped with white queso, crisp chicken, blue cheese, scallions and wing sauce.
Saturday is Ladies Night from 10 p.m. to midnight. Ladies will enjoy free well liquor and Bud/Bud Light drafts. Bombs are $5 and well drinks are $2 from 10 p.m. to close.