Riverview Speaker Gives 50 Reasons To Go to the 2013 Florida State Fair
An avid Florida State Fair supporter and lifelong fair attendee, speaking to Greater Riverview Chamber of Commerce members, gives 50 reasons to go to the 2013 Florida State Fair at the Florida State Fairgrounds in Tampa.
By her accounts, Betty Jo Tompkins has been going to state and county fairs since she was 10 years old and the enthusiasm to continue so builds every year.
This year, as a supporter of the Florida State Fair, Betty Jo Tompkins has been traveling the community speaker circuit visiting chamber, service and community organization meetings to boost support and enthusiasm for the 12-day event.
For one thing, she told members of the Greater Riverview Chamber of Commerce at their most recent luncheon meeting, "there's a professionally produced light show and it's free."
Then there's the Taste of the Fair.
"You've heard of all those exciting and interesting foods that you can always find at the fair?" she said. "This year you'll be able to get sample sizes and they'll be free or at a very low cost."
Below, and in the video attached to this post, Tompkins recites a poem she penned detailing 50 reasons why you should go to the Florida State Fair.
About The 2013 Florida State Fair
- Billed as the 109th Annual "Discover the Fun" Florida State Fair, Saturday, Feb. 9 is promoted as "4-H and FFA Day," with free admission for 4-H and FFA members with identification or jacket. Gates open at 9 a.m.; the midway at 10 a.m. Hours are the same Sunday, Feb. 10, which is noted as "Armband Day."
- The fair funs for 12 days, from Feb. 7-18, at the Florida State Fairgrounds in Tampa, at 4800 North U.S. Highway 301.
- Exhibits celebrate the 500th anniversary of the founding of Florida by explorer Juan Ponce de Leon.
- Gates open daily at 9 a.m.
- Closing times vary depending on the day of the week and weather conditions.
- Admission is $8 for adults and $4 for children, ages 6-11. Children age 5 and under are admitted for free.
- Parking is free.
- Call: 813-621-7871. The toll-free number is 1-800-345-3247.
- Visit the Florida State Fair online for daily times, events, details and more.
Betty Jo Tompkins' 50 Reasons To Go To The Florida State Fair
For more, see 100 Free Things To See and Do at the Fair