5 Things to Know Today, May 29
It's a great day to take advantage of some Memorial Day sales or enjoy an afternoon of music and museums.
1. Get out early and enjoy your Memorial Day weekend. The temperatures will reach a high of 91 degrees in the Bloomingdale Patch area, according to Weather.com., and there's a 30 percent chance of thunderstorms later this afternoon.
2. Spend the day shopping. Memorial Day sales traditionally offer deep discounts on furniture and appliances.
3. Bowl with the Brandon Ballet today from 1:30–4 p.m. at The Alley at Southshore, 10221 Big Bend Road, Riverview. Join the Brandon Ballet for an afternoon of unlimited bowling. There also will be chances to win prizes and giveaways. Bowling starts at 2 p.m. The cost is $15 for adults, $10 for students. Shoe rental is free. Each lane holds six bowlers and spaces are limited. Sign up by calling 813-684-4282 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. The Museum of Science & Industry (MOSI) is offering $5 admission all Memorial Day weekend to all active and retired military personnel, police officers, firefighters, and EMTs with valid ID. Up to six family members and guests can receive $5 off the regular admission price.
5. Spend the afternoon at the Green Iguana at Winthrop Town Centre in Riverview. Alias Julius will perform from 1 to 4:30 p.m. Alias Julius has long reflected the musical passions that inspired her while she was growing up in Detroit. Her influences range from Bob Dylan to Janis Joplin. Her vocal ability combined with her vibrant guitar skills makes for a very unique and extraordinary female acoustic performer.