5 Things to Know Today, June 16
Here's some things you might want to know as you go about your day.
1. The Greater Brandon Area Friends of Scouting will honor four longtime residents who have been an integral part of area Boy Scouts during its 2011 Soaring Eagle Dinner June 16 at The Regent, 6437 Watson Road, Riverview.
Residents interested in supporting the Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts, Sea Scouts and Venturers are invited to the event, which will begin with a social hour at 6 p.m. followed by a dinner at 7 p.m. The atmosphere is casual and the dress is "camping chic."
During the event, the Scouts will accept pledges to support its many programs.
Scouts also will take the opportunity to honor four men who have played an active role in supporting the Scouts over the years: Dr. Fred Boehmer, Julian Craft, Dick Stowers and the Rev. Bill Wynn.
The event is being chaired by Jeff Reynolds and Becky Jordan.
To RSVP, phone or e-mail Molly Blanton, district executive in southeast Hillsborough County for Boy Scouts of America, Gulf Ridge Council, at 813-210-1788 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Hillsborough County Extension will offer the following Florida-Friendly Landscaping Workshops on June 16 at the Extension Office, 5339 County Road 579 in Seffner.
A Compost Happens Workshop will take place at 10 a.m. Residents will learn to turn trash to treasure. Each household will receive a free compost bin and thermometer. This workshop is sponsored by the Master Composters of Hillsborough County, Hillsborough County Extension, Hillsborough County Public Utilities Department and the City of Tampa's Department of Solid Waste.
A Water-Wise Workshop will take place at 11 a.m. The Water-Wise Workshop teaches how to have a healthy and attractive lawn and landscape, while still conserving water. Tips on installing and using micro-irrigation are also presented. This irrigation method not only conserves water, but is not as restricted by current water restrictions as traditional in-ground irrigation systems. Hillsborough County residents attending this workshop for the first time will receive one free micro-irrigation kit.
Register for both workshops online at www.eventbrite.com/directory/Florida/Seffner
For additional information, contact Hillsborough County Extension at 813-744-5519.
3. Westfield Brandon mall will present The Magical Animal Kingdom for the month of June, featuring Westfield Family Fun Days designed to help kids learn about animals in the wild and in their own back yards. At these free, family-friendly activities, kids will play, create and learn about animals.
On June 16 from 4 to 5 p.m., the kids will decorate easy-to-assemble bird houses, have story time with “The Very Hungry Caterpillar” by Eric Carle and “The Lion and The Mouse” by Jerry Pinkney, and enjoy a healthy snack.
For more details on the Westfield Family Fun Days and a chance to win one of four Disney Store $50 gift cards, visit www.Facebook.com/WestfieldBrandon.
4. The Brandon Chapter of the New World Celts meets the third Thursday of the month at 7:30 p.m. at O'Brien's Irish Pub, 701 W. Lumsden Road, Brandon. The charitable organization promotes Celtic history and culture. Membership is open to all. Call Dugg Smith, (813) 291-2387 or e-mail email@example.com.
5. The Sylvia Thomas Center, 716 S. Oakwood Ave., Brandon, hosts a support and training group to prepare families for adoption. Child care is available. The group meets Thursdays from 6:30 to 8 p.m.