5 Things to Know Today, Dec. 3: Alafia Lighted Boat Parade and More
Here's some activities to consider attending today.
1. The FishHawk-Riverview Rotary Club will present the 28th annual Alafia Lighted Boat Parade and Chili Cook-Off Dec. 3 from 5 to 9 p.m. at the International Independent Showmen's Association, 6915 Riverview Drive, on the Alafia River. Admission is free. There will be face painting, free kids' photos with Santa, entertainment, food and a silent auction. Those interested in entering the chili cook-off should contact Dr. Kimberly Tyson, secretary of the club, at 813-672-3687. The first-place winner will receive $75 and a restaurant certificate. The entry fee is $15. There also will be cash prizes for the best-decorated boats. The boat entry fee is $25. The entry deadline is Nov. 30. All proceeds will benefit the club's charitable work.
2. Be prepared to see some beautiful homes and outstanding holiday decorations that will inspire you to decorate your own homes. The Brandon Service League is hosting its 19th annual Holiday Home Tour Saturday, Dec. 3 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. featuring four beautifully decorated homes in the area. In addition to touring the homes, guests will enjoy light refreshments and a holiday gourmet booth where they can purchase goodies. Tickets are $15 and can be purchased at The Green Boutique, 1032 Bloomingdale Ave., Valrico; Divine Designs Salon & Spa, 1606 Oakfield Dr., Brandon; Greg's Hallmark, 863 E. Bloomingdale Ave., Brandon; and the Law Office of B. Lee Elam, 101 W. Lumsden Rd., Brandon. Residents will receive a map locating the homes on the tour at the time of the ticket purchase. All proceeds will benefit area charities. For additional information, contact Melinda White at 813-967-1925.
3. The Greater Riverview Chamber of Commerce will host a yard sale today, Dec. 3, from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Boardwalk of Riverview Office, 10011 Water Works Ln., located off Gibsonton Drive between U.S. 301 and Interstate 75.
There will be a large variety of items priced to sale including holiday decorations, furniture, clothing, home furnishings and much more.
4. The Newsome High School Band will host its annual Santa Breakfast at the Fishhawk Boulevard Beef O’Brady’s on Saturday, Dec. 3 from 8 to 10:30 a.m. The cost is $5 for adults and $2.50 for children and includes pancakes, sausage, coffee, juice, milk or soft drinks. Several themed gift baskets will be raffled, and many local vendors available so residents can purchase gifts. All Proceeds will go to the Newsome High School Marching Band. Contact Theresa Ketcham at firstname.lastname@example.org or 813-731-0269.
5. Plaza Bella will celebrate its fifth anniversary with sales, raffles and special activities including welcoming its newest tenants, Hut No. 8, Cheddar Biscuit and The Original Leena's Chocolates Saturday, Dec. 3.
During the five-year celebration, residents are encouraged to bring in diapers, cleaning supplies and toys to be donated to A Kid's Place in Brandon, a foster facility for abused and neglected children. Anyone making a donation will be entered in a drawing for a chance to win a Plaza Bella basket filled with products to be drawn Saturday.
Additionally, shoppers can enter a drawing at each business for a chance to win another Plaza Bella basket.
Each business will have special offers for customers. On Saturday, at The Original Leena's Chocolates, children can have their photos taken with Santa Claus as well starting at 11 a.m. The shops of Plaza Bella will be open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.