5 Things to Do Labor Day Weekend
Here's our Patch Picks.
It's Labor Day weekend and there are a multitude of ways to bid farewell to the summer. Here's a few of our suggestions for things to do this Labor Day weekend:
1. Weedon Island Preserve, 1800 Weedon Dr. N.E., St. Petersburg, will host a free Labor Day Sandbar Concert. Bring chairs, coolers and even the dog on Sunday, Sept. 2 at 1 p.m. and wade in the water while you listen to live music from a barge anchored off Weedon Island. This year's floating Labor Day party features blues and Southern rock by the Cross Creek Blues Band and Hal Hammer Jr.
2. Artists and art lovers of all ages can head to Center Place, 619 Vonderburg Dr., Brandon, Saturday, Sept. 1 for the annual "For the Love of Arts" Chalk Walk and "Celebration of the Arts" art show.
The Chalk Walk will kick off at 10 a.m. during which children age 3 and up are invited to create masterpieces in chalk on the sidewalks surrounding Center Place. The Chalk Walk is free but tickets are required and can be obtained at Center Place. Each young artist will receive will receive a box of chalk, a sidewalk section, coupons and freebies from local businesses. In addition, there will be demonstrations, performances, magic, face painting and music.
In conjunction with the Chalk Walk, the Brandon League of Fine Arts will host a "Celebration of the Arts" second annual Artfest Fundraiser from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., featuring the works of novice as well as experienced artists. In addition, there will be holiday arts and crafts available for sale and lunch to purchase.
3. For a limited time, Gatorland at 14501 S. Orange Blossom Trail in Orlando is offering a special for Florida residents. Children age 3 to 12 and senior will be admitted for $9.99 with a Florida ID. Gatorland is a 110-acre theme park and wildlife preserve, combining "Old Florida" charm with exciting exhibits and entertainment. Gatorland features thousands of alligators and crocodiles, breeding marsh with boardwalk, a miniature water park, aviary and a petting zoo.
4. The Pioneer Museum's 38th annual Pioneer Florida Day will be held Monday, Sept. 2, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. There will be Seminole re-enactments at 11:15 a.m. and 2 p.m. and a fiddling contest from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Admission is $5; free for children 6 and under. The museum is located at 15602 Pioneer Museum Rd., Dade City.
5. Plan a traditional Labor Day celebration with a barbecue and pool party. Pick up some bourbon-marinated steaks at Land & Sea Market at 3478 Lithia-Pinecrest Rd., Valrico, for the grill and then head over to the Happy Tomato Produce Market, 3623 Lithia-Pinecrest Rd., Valrico, for the makings of a Roasted Squash, Onion and Sweet Potato dish. Visit the website for the recipe.