Hillsborough County Economic Development Department’s Small Business Information Center (SBIC) is offering more than two dozen FREE or inexpensive workshops throughout November and December at various locations. The workshops are designed to assist potential and existing business owners start or expand their small, minority, veteran or women-owned businesses.
The workshops tackle topics and issues that are important to today’s small-business owners and are planned to help improve networking skills, marketing strategies, financing opportunities, bookkeeping, and overall business plans.
Free workshops offered during November and December include:
- Bookkeeping Essentials– Learn how to maintain necessary records, accounts receivable/payable, payroll, sales taxes and other procedures.
- Business KIT – Learn the basics for starting a small, minority or women-owned business. The following topics will be covered: Smart Start Your Business, Preparing a Business Plan, SBA Programs, Loans and Financing, Managing Your Money, Marketing, IRS Regulations and Grant Availability.
- Business Plan Series– At the conclusion of this four-part series, participants will have all the necessary components to create their business plan.
- Doing Business With Local Government – This workshop will cover how to register with local agencies, how to find bidding opportunities and where assistance can be found.
- Food Industry Series– This 2-part series will provide the basic requirements for operating a restaurant, catering business or a mobile food dispensing cart (e.g. hot dog cart) as well as how to market a food industry business.
- Getting Your Business Online – Ready to get on the World Wide Web? We will discuss how to locate a website host, site design, best practices, design software and eCommerce. This is a very basic class.
- Marketing Series– This 2-part series will introduce marketing fundamentals, help clarify target markets, discuss competition, develop marketing strategies, and teach techniques to enhance a small business.
- SBA Loans And Other Programs – Learn about various SBA Loans and requirements, as well as other programs such as HUB Zones and 8(a) firms doing business with the government.
The SBIC’s complete calendar of workshops and additional information are available at: www.hillsboroughcounty.org/sbic/. The SBIC’s website also includes additional helpful information for local small businesses, such as links to local, state and federal regulations, answers to frequently asked questions, and recommended best practices.
To register for a workshop or find out more information, log onto the website or call the SBIC at 813-914-4028, Option #4.